Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Hotel Normandie, Amiens

Leo and I arrived at the Hotel Normandie late afternoon and found a quite small doorway which was just big enough to enable a couple of average size blokes like us to enter and checked in at reception. The young lady at reception was very charming and indicated that our room was on the 2nd. Floor of the establishment and that we could take the stairs.

When we enquired about a lift the “news was not good”.


It was at this stage that the “Width of Leo’s Backside” (WLB) became the base measure for any measurement that needed explaining to anybody that wasn’t there. The spiral staircase needed to gain access to our room was 1.1 WLB wide and of 40 steps duration. We were just thankful that our suitcases (mine, about 23kg) was less than 1 WLB.

We entered our room to find a double bed, a single bed, a desk, chair and stool a TV hanging off the roof, pointing towards the double bed and an “en suite”.

As you can see from the photo below, the room is approx. 5 WLB in width





The lenght of the room is approx 12 WLB.
 
 
But wait there's more !!! The en suite was built for fashion models, not average size blokes like us !!!
 
 


The pan was on a box, (must have been an after-thought) The folding door "almost" closed, The shower cubicle was a bit squeezy (only 1.05 WLB x 1.05 WLB) to use the mirror I needed to stand outside the en suite because unless I had my reading glasses on, it was impossible to get the image in the mirror in focus. When using the "Thunder Box" it was a little disturbing knowing that Leo's bed (the pillow end of his bed) was only about .8 WLB from the opening of the door that would not close properly. He is a nice bloke but I don't know that I really want to be that close while I am exercising my bodily functions. I mean "heaven forbid" what if I accidentally "passed wind" and the aroma was not pleasant. I could never forgive myself !!!

Well we survived the experience and caught the train the following morning to meet up with FBD (Ali) Margret and Marg's sister Pat.

The next adventure is a 3 day boat trip along the canal country of France. Stay Tuned!!





 

No comments:

Post a Comment