We caught a FAST TRAIN into Belgium and went to Brussels (a 1 ½ hour trip) Then a local train to Tubize
Then on to a great little place called Oisqercq, to catch up with a lovely young lady by the name of Virginie. She was a rotary exchange student at Salisbury East High School who I taught 16 years ago. Virginie became a Vet and runs her practice from downstairs of her home. Virginie & Frederick have 2 beautiful daughters, Lucy (7 yrs) and Sarah (5 yrs) Fredrick does not speak any English, so Ali had a chance to practice her year 12 French.
They could not do enough for us, even to the extent of use of their bed. Virginie said that she never thought that she would have one of her teachers sleeping in her bed. I said that she did in fact have 2 teachers sleeping in her bed & expressed our gratitude for them sleeping with their kids so that we could. Our stay was far too short but we needed to see the sights and then return to Paris.
I fitted in very well with the locals, I don’t think that they have realised that I am not from around here. Although I did let my guard slip a couple of times in Brussels while visiting the “Grand Place”. I was visiting the “Brewers Museum” and asked the staff who the gentleman was in the photograph on the wall. Being a keen Beer Drinker I surmised that perhaps it was the “Head Brewer” of Belgium. Got it in one, gee I’m good it was the “Head Brewer”. Over here they call him the King of Belgium. None of this “stuck up” Pommie stuff about have to be born into the position. So long as your “Home Brew” is better than anyone else…………You’re the King.
BEST HOME BREWER
The other time was just after that on the way to the railway station. The traffic was reasonably busy and I saw taxi heading in our direction so “quick as a flash” ……..out with the digit. As the car came closer and we prepared ourselves to board the conveyance I noticed that the taxi driver was wearing a uniform. It became obvious that the wage of a “Copper” in Belgium is not that good and they have to “moonlight” as taxi drivers to make ends meet. This guy wasn’t too bright though. He had forgotten to replace the POLICE sign on the side of the car with a TAXI sign. I then figured that if he was “that thick” he probably wouldn’t know how to get to the railway station and we could have ended up anywhere. A quick retraction of the digit and a polite wave to a bloke on the other side of the road fixed the problem. I did think of dobbing him in, but if he was that thick he needs all the help he can get.




No comments:
Post a Comment